Thursday, March 29, 2012

New York - Thrift adventures

I have been meaning to post the details of my vintage/thrift shopping day in NY but it has been hard to find time with work, kids, and the beautiful weather outside that keeps calling me.

The more I waited, the more harder it was to also remember the details. I tried to trace our steps as much as I can and hopefully I remember it all...

Some notes up front:
- I went to this shopping trip with two of my cousins and they live in Brooklyn. They know their way around, so it was easier.
- We (I) used Yelp iPhone app extensively. We had a plan to start with, but we found many other stores by searching on the go...
- We covered areas that are outside of Manhattan since I would be able to do that by foot the next day.
- We had a car and drove between areas but walked between stores.
- Thrift shopping apparently does not start until noon... We came to find out quickly. Make sure to check the store hours in advance and start late. Also there are a lots of stores that are closed on Monday and/or Tuesday. Our shopping day was a Wednesday.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes that can easily be changed or wear a tank top under your clothes so that you don't have to go into the dressing rooms.
- None of these stores knows who I am and if I did not buy something from a store that does not mean it is a bad one.

Since the only store that we could find that opens up before noon was in Staten Island, we first headed there. You have to pay for the toll, just FYI. You can also take the ferry since this store is very close to the ferry station. The store opens at 10:30 am.

Everything goes clothing
140 Bay St
Staten Island, NY 10301

This store is not very big but it had a great selection of skirts and coats. It is also very reasonably priced. I bought 2 skirts. Both of them needed some work with buttons and hooks. After they were dry cleaned and fixed up, both looked awesome... $14 in total.



Then we headed back to Brooklyn. Since we still had time, we sat down in a cafe right across the Rosebud vintage store and had yummy pastries and coffee. The owner was very helpful, even called the store owner to see when she was going to open.

Rosebud
726 Franklin Ave

(between Sterling Pl & Park Pl)
Brooklyn, NY 11238

This is a really small store and it is not thrift. It is more vintage. They had cute stuff but a little too pricey for me. I did not get anything there.

Then we drove to the next general area and parked the car close to Dolly G's.

Dolly G's
320 Graham Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11211

Another small, vintage store. I did not get anything from there also. Then we walked to Atlantis Attic which is around the corner from Dolly G's.

Atlantis Attic
771 Metropolitan Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11211

This was a quite large thrifty store. Lots and lots of stuff. Lots of shoes also. I don't know if I can ever bring myself to buy shoes from a thrift store. I ended up finding this pretty silk shirt made in France and three belts. Total $25.


Then we walked down the Graham Avenue (opposite direction from Dolly's) and got in to one of the stores on the right. It is a small store but again very cute stuff. I cannot remember the name, which is a shame, and it was not in our list.

I bought this polyester dress for $18. The skirt is pleated and I already wore it two times (opera and fancy dinner with friends) with black patented belt.

From there, we walked back to the car and drove to Williamsburg area. We first stopped by Monk Vintage which is one of the most packed thrift stores I have ever seen. It is just packed with stuff..

Monk Vintage
496 Driggs Ave
(between 10th St & 9th St)
Brooklyn, NY 11211

I had great finds in this store also. A beautiful jean dress that fits me perfectly, a scarf and black and white sweater (I do not have a picture of that). I think I paid $35 in total...

Then we walked to;
Buffalo Exchange
504 Driggs Ave
(between 10th St & 9th St)
Brooklyn, NY 11211

Guvnor's Vintage Thrift
178 5th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11227

Both were good. My cousin got some things but I did not get anything...There are a lot of stores in this area in walking distance. Yelp helps tremendously.
In one of the stores that we found through Yelp, I found this beautiful scarf. One of the most expensive pieces I bought, a whopping $20. Just perfect for this summer...


We had a late lunch at Crif Dogs when we wanted to a little break...

Crif Dogs
555 Driggs Ave
(between 7th St & 6th St)
Brooklyn, NY 11211

Let me tell you something, one of the best hot dogs that I had. Maybe it was because I was starving. It was the perfect quick lunch, we got back out there to sift through more clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment