Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tornadoes and birthday cakes...

Last week we had major tornado scare. The kids were at school and I had to sit in the closet for almost an hour.

We ended up not getting a tornado but we got major hail... (see below)


After we got home from school, all activities were cancelled. We decided to bake a birthday cake for one of Sude's coaches... This is how it looked at the end...


It was a very creative process... I wanted to make it fun for Sude...

After we mixed up a box of yellow cake we split it up to 3 bowls and made three colors of batter, her choices...
- brown (added cocoa powder)
- pink (added food coloring)
- green (added food coloring)

We poured them to the pan randomly and Sude used a knife to swirl the cake batter to mix the colors further...You can see in there a cake created by an artist...(At least that's what she says)


I applied a new trick that I have learned and it WORKS.... I did not want to have a dome on my cake. Usually I cut off the dome to make the cake flat but I did not want to loose any cake that way. There are always more kids at the gym who are interested in cake...

I washed a kitchen towel and wrapped the cake pan with it and baked the cake that way. Sure enough, it worked and I had an evenly raised cake...

I made the cream cheese icing myself. A proven and yummy recipe...
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 pack of cream cheese
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- In my case, pink food coloring

I had to do the icing myself the next day when she was at school.
The cake was a huge hit. It is a shame I don't have a picture of the slices... (No surprise there)



No comments:

Post a Comment